Laser hair removal is catching popularity these days as it provides the luxury of not going to the salon again and again or using methods for hair removal every month. A medical professional uses a laser to burn the hair follicles, preventing the hair from growing completely or slowing the process to minimal hair every now & then.
There is a lot of conjecture about the treatment and myths that make the treatment sound scary. So it’s best to first talk to a professional and clear all the questions and confusions one has before going for the treatment. Talking to someone who has been through the procedure will also help understand the receiving side.
However, this treatment requires care after the procedure to protect the skin, avoid any side effects and make the procedure last long.
Before going in for the treatment, make sure to keep these points in mind:
- Avoid Sun
Before your appointment, make sure you avoid the sun at all costs. If the exposure is inevitable, use sunscreen between SPF 30-50.
- Avoid hair removal
Before the appointment, it is not advisable to go for any hair removal six weeks prior. Whether it’s waxing, plucking, or hair bleaching, doing so will ensure the success of the treatment.
It is advisable to shave the area right before the treatment to avoid burns and make way for the laser to reach the hair follicles directly. Shaving is generally done by the professional who will perform the treatment. Do ask your doctor if they will provide this facility or if you have to do it.
During laser hair removal
It is important to ensure the safety of people in the treatment room, whether it’s the doctor, the patient, or any helping staff.
- Everyone present in the room needs to wear protective eye gear, to protect the eyes from the laser.
- To prevent epidermal damage and make the patient feel comfortable, a jet of cool air is used with a laser.
- The tools being used should be hygienic for the safety of the patient.
After laser hair removal
After-treatment care is of utmost importance, and the treatment’s receiver must keep a few points in mind.
- Right after the treatment, the person may experience redness and swelling in that area, so don’t be too scared of it as it’s very normal.
- About 20% of your treated hair will fall out in about 2-3 weeks. During recovery, the skin is sensitive and should be treated accordingly.
- Avoid rubbing or scratching the area; if you notice a crust, do not touch it or try to scratch it; instead, let it fall on its own.
- Moisturize the area well, up to 2-3 times a day, to avoid crusting.
- In case of swelling, use some ice to treat the area.
- Activities such as swimming, hot bath, sauna, and exercise should be avoided for a week.
- Avoid any beauty treatments like peels. Please refrain from using a lot of makeup and remove it gently in case you do.
The recovery period is very crucial and should be taken very seriously. Follow everything your doctor asks you to.
Possible Side effects of the Laser Hair Removal
Some side effects like swelling, redness, pain and crusting are common and will go away with proper care.
To minimize any side effects, the doctor will enquire about the skin type, hair color, medical history, etc., to use a suitable laser.
Side effects that one must take seriously include the following
- Severe Pain
When one should seek medical attention after laser hair removal
Look for the unusual signs; you should run to your doctor at first sight of anything that can cause concern.
Contact your doctor if you notice the following
- Increase in swelling
- Blisters or Burns
- Pigmentation or scarring
- Pus or red-coloured streaks or any other signs of infection
Laser hair removal may sound scary and complicated, but success completely depends on various factors. Please make sure you go with a trusted professional and thoroughly research their reviews and customer experiences. Make sure you follow everything told by your doctor to the point. Another factor that ensures the success of the treatment is the aftercare of the skin.
To avail yourself of the best quality treatment for laser hair removal, get in touch with the team of professionals at Jaya Skin Clinic so they can answer all your questions and make you understand the process. For assistance, contact our representatives to schedule an appointment.